KAPSARC seeks a highly motivated and driven Fellow with experience in clean hydrocarbon technologies, especially carbon reuse and removal technologies. The successful candidate will lead and conduct applied research focusing on the role of carbon reuse and removal technologies in net-zero emission pathways, in the Kingdom, regionally, and globally, and the key enablers for their successful market penetration, including technical, economic, policy, institutional, regulatory, and governance-related enablers. The ideal candidate should possess a combination of technical, economic, and policy expertise in one or more of the following areas: CCUS, low-carbon oil, direct air capture (DAC), bioenergy with carbon capture and storage (BECCS), nature-based solutions (e.g., restoring coastal wetlands), and/or global climate policy frameworks.
Fellow I (Carbon Removal Technologies)
- Auto req ID 374BR
- A Ph.D. in a relevant discipline, or a relevant master’s degree plus experience equivalent to a Ph.D. level.
- Min 12 years of professional experience around the areas of energy economics, climate change policies, and environmental sustainability, preferably within a research organization, government, or an international organization.
- Excellent command of the English language (spoken/written).
- An expert with experience within one or more of the following fields: carbon management technologies (especially CCUS), environmental economics, global climate change policy, energy systems modeling, or integrated assessment modeling.
- Experience conducting research aimed at supporting evidence-based, data-driven public policy.
- Familiarity with policy-oriented research aligned with international best practices.
- Ability to gather and analyze relevant information and data, and to demonstrate critical thinking.
- Ability to write high-quality analytical and evidence-based policy-relevant papers in a style that is clear, concise, logical and well-structured. Experience with authoring peer-reviewed publications is a definite advantage.
- Solid verbal communication skills and ability to disseminate research through effective communication approaches that meet the needs of different audiences and maximize the impact of KAPSARC’s work.
- Launching and leading a research project on carbon management technologies, with a focus on carbon removal, and generating policy-relevant analyses and insights to advise KAPSARC’s stakeholders in the Saudi energy sector.
- Conducting rigorous and high-quality research and analysis and delivering tailored advisory services for KAPSARC’s stakeholders.
- Contributing to, and delivering, presentations at meetings, workshops and conferences.
- Producing evidence-based policy papers, working papers, academic papers, and timely briefs on relevant topics that are clear, concise and reader-friendly.
- Disseminating research through effective communication approaches that meet the needs of different audiences and maximize the impact of KAPSARC’s work.
- Collaborating effectively within KAPSARC and its policy networks to ensure that KAPSARC’s advice on climate and sustainability policy is consistent and coherent.